This is the oldest statement of finances I have seen.
History – 18850301 – Financials
In 1885 Little Neck represents only 18% of the assets of the Grammar School Trust. Since it is the only asset left, that means that the other 82% of the assets vanished. Consider this when considering the wisdom in converting Little Neck into cash.
Also of note is the fact that in order for that $2000 to become on the order of $30M over the course of 125 years, it would have to increase and average of 8% per year, every year. To put that into perspective, the S&P 500, a pure equity index with all the associated risks, had an average annualized return of about 6% over the last 50 years.